Monday, January 26, 2009

GOING VISITING...


Once we get get to the ranch, unpack, settle in...

I then say to Bill...

"I'm going visiting."

I go visiting to say hello, to pay my respects, and to ask for yet another "discovery".

I stuff the standard "visiting gear" in the pockets of my photographer's vest, or fanny pack, or attached to a caribiner...

Walkie-talkie, bottle of water, camera, hiking stick...
sometimes a hammer...and a shovel...

Hammer?...Shovel? To go "visiting"?

Even though I'm only walking a few acres away, I never know what I might run into as I walk through the washes, or what might be lurking in and among the pinion and juniper trees on the T-Square Ranch.

The visitor...and the visitee...
At times, I'm not quite sure which one I am.

The very first time we visited the property we noticed at our feet the remants of an ancient culture. We were in awe, amazed. And yes, we we were going to be, and now are, the caretakers of it.



Our property once supported a "community" of Anasazi and Chacoan people. Water was a short walk away. Game was probably much more plentiful than today. And from research done in our area, peach pits were found in archeological sites.

Yes, they were able to grow peaches.
It's truly inspirational, and motivating.

So after getting settled in at the ranch, I take a hike...

I go visiting...

To say hello...

To hold small remnants of ancient utilitarian art in my hands...

To ask if I may find another treasure buried beneath the sands...



And to always...give thanks.

2 comments: